Friday, March 6, 2015

Calico Critter Sea Otter Family by Epoch Review


    I have been into making miniatures and dollhouses for a long time. But I never really gave Calico Critters much thought... Because they didn't fit into any "standard" scale, and their high prices.

I have always loved stuffed animals and dollhouses; so why did it take me so long to give them a second look?
Well, while holiday shopping, I found myself hypnotized by all of the various animal families available! I weakened and got the Sea Otter Family for myself...but I made myself wait for Christmas to unwrap them!

The Calico Critter Sea Otter Family


Packaging

The box is a simple cardboard box with a plastic window. On the back is a big picture of all the animals in naturalistic poses, hanging out in Cloverleaf Corners.
The animals were very easy to get out of the box. Then just cut a few rubber band things and they are free.

Profiles from the bottom of the box:

Father:Kyle teaches all of the kids how to swim. He often likes to relax and float in the water while looking up at the blue sky.

Mother: Jennifer is a famous fashion accessory designer. She makes beautiful bracelets, pendants, and even purses! Her most popular creations are her unique sea shell accessories.

Little girl:Lynn absolutely loves collecting sea shells! She always uses her little shell purse that her mother made for her.

Baby girl: Maya is always so joyful and smiling. She loves going on vacations with her family, especially when she gets to swim in a baby pool!

I chose this family for the nautical themed clothes and accessories, more than the specific species of animals. The clam shell shaped purse and pendant are the highlight of this set for me!
The Otter family members are cute...in a cartoony sort of way!  They are not realistic looking at all! Their eyes are bright and bring out the emotion in their faces.
The flocking is really high quality. Its super soft! I have read some great things about  long term wear and tear on these figures fur. They seem like they can stand up to the test of time.
The tails are more like beaver tails, and are made of a thin piece of fabric.

The hands are flat, so they aren't able to hold any accessories, unfortunately.
The articulation is great on these figures! I only had to struggle getting my baby's head to turn at first.They hold poses nicely and stand very sturdily.

*Clothing

The clothing is really nice. It has a nice nautical theme with coordinating horizontal and vertical stripey  patterns. The colors remind me of an antique photograph! Each shirt has a separate collar on it. I was impressed with the individual details of each family member's outfits:
The Fathers shirt has a nice real plastic button sewn onto it.
The Mother has a nice pink shell pendant accenting her dress.
The little girl's dress is trimmed with lace and has a salmon colored bow. Plus she came wearing her little shell purse!
The baby sea otter came in a little beach dress with a tie on the front.
But I can already tell that the tiny clothes can stand up to repeated posing, and aren't developing creases in the fabric since I've had them!
Two thumbs up!

*Accessories



The little girl sea otter came wearing a little plastic pink sea shell purse with an elastic strap. So it can be removed and shared with other critters:)
 Mother Jennifer came wearing a sea shell pendant, but it is sewn permanently onto her dress.

*Overall Opinion

I really liked my Calico Critter Sea Otter Family. They perfectly compliment my coastal theme.
My favorite family member ends up being the Little Girl. She has my favorite colored outfit; with her pink purse and salmon colored bow. The colors are lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment